1. A. drunk B. dusty
C. duty D. drug ( )
2. A. prove B. rose
C. wrote D. broke ( )
3. A. back B. safe
C. table D. strange ( )
4. A. extra B. express
C. expert D. export ( )
5. A. taught B. caught
C. laughter D. daughter ( )
6. A. mouth B. trouble
C. proud D. trousers ( )
7. A. honest B. chest
C. harvest D. forest ( )
8. A. though B. three
C. throw D. thief ( )
9. A. care B. cock
C. certain D. coin ( )
10. A. breathe B. easy
C. cheap D. ready ( )
11. — Do you think their table tennis team will win the first place at the coming Asian Games?
— ______ . Ours is much stronger than theirs.
A. Of course B. By no means
C. It depends D. Don’ t mention it.
12. —What a fine day! Shall we go picnicking?
— ______ . But we need to be home before six o’ clock for the football match.
A. Have a nice time B. Pardon me
C. That’s great D. You are right
13. —Jone and I will celebrate our fortieth wedding anniversary next month.
—Oh, ______ !
A. cheer up B. well done
C. go ahead D. congratulations
14. — Poor Steve! I could hardly recognize him just now!
— ______ . He has changed so much.
A. Never mind B. No problem
C. Not at all D. Me either
15. — Could you be so kind as to close the window?
A. With pleasure. B. Go ahead
C. Yes, please D. That’s OK.
16. — We’re organizing a party next Saturday, and I’d like you to come.
— ______! I have another one that day. Thank you just the same.
A. Good luck! B. What a pity
C. Never do it again D. Well done
17. —Good morning, Grand Hotel.
—Hello, I’ d like to book a room for the nights of the 18th and 19th.
A. What can I do for you? B. Just a minute, please.
C. What’ s the matter? D. At your service.
18. — Sorry, I broke your wineglass.
A. Never mind. B. Certainly not!
C. Why not be careful? D. Don’t mention it.
19. — So you missed the meeting.
— ______. I got there five minutes before it finished.
A. Not at all. B. Not exactly
C. Not especially D. Not really
20. — Tom, you are smoking again?
— ______ ? It’s none of your business.
A. So what B. How come
C. Why not D. What for
21. When you introduce me to Mr. Johnson, could you please say ______ for me?
A. everything B. anything
C. something D. nothing
22. Mark ______ have hurried. After driving at top speed, he arrived half an hour early.
A. needn’ t B. wouldn’ t
C. mustn’ t D. couldn’ t
23. Excuse me, I______ I was blocking your way.
A. didn’t realize B. don’t realize
C. haven’t realized D. wasn’t realizing
24. The doctor thought ______ would be good for you to have a holiday.
A. this B. that
C. one D. it
25. My mother opened the drawer to ______ the knives and spoons.
A. put up B. put away
C. put on D. put together
26. —Why did you move to New York?
— ______ a better job.
A. Find B. Finding
C. To find D. Found
27. It is reported that two schools, ______ are being built in my hometown, will open next year.
A. they both B. which both
C. both of them D. both of which
28. It is generally considered unwise to give a child ______ he or she wants.
A. however B. whatever
C. whichever D. whenever
29. Though ______ to see us, the professor gave us a warm welcome.
A. surprising B. was surprised
C. surprised D. being surprised
30. Giving up smoking can greatly ______ the risk of heart disease.
A. increase B. reduce
C. deduce D. produce
31. It was so dark in the cinema that I could hardly ______ my friend.
A. turn out B. bring out
C. call out D. pick out
32. I’d like to study law at university ______ my cousin prefers geography.
A. though B. as
C. while D. for
33. —Did you see a man in black pass by just now?
—No, sir. I______ a newspaper.
A. read B. was reading
C. would read D. am r