1. A. wash B. fat C. candle D. calculation
2. A. secret B. telegraph C. elephant D. second
3. A. thirsty B. Australia C. music D. second
4. A. roof B. tooth C. foot D. moon
5. A. station B. question C. operation D. instruction
6. A. meat B. mean C. weak D. break
7. A. played B. stopped C. carried D. tried
8. A. truth B. otherwise C. feather D. therefore
9. A. bow B. cow C. town D. blow
10. A. reaches B. decides C. bridges D. boxes
11. — Would you like to go on a picnic with me today?
A. I’d love to, but I can’t because I have an appointment today.
B. No, I don’t like going today because I went on a picnic yesterday.
C. No, I can’t go with you today because I am not free.
D. No, I am not feeling well.
12. — Would you mind returning this book to the library for me, please?
A. Yes, of course B. Sure
C. Certainly not D. You are welcome
13. — You seem upset. Is anything wrong?
A. Yes. My best friend is angry with me B. Oh, no. I am OK
C. Oh, thank you for your care D. Not really
14. — Here are some new books.
A. But do you think which one is the most interesting
B. But which one do you think is the most interesting
C. But what do you think of the most interesting one
D. But how do you love them
15. — I’m sorry I didn’t do well.
A. No B. No sorry
C. You’re welcome D. Never mind
16. — Conductor, I am going to York Road. Can you tell me where to get off?
A. You have to ride of three stops B. You can get off at the next stop
C. You must get off at three stops later
17. — I am just back from a holiday in Hawaii.
A. Really! Did you have a good time?
B. Really! Had you had a good time?
C. Really! Have you had a good travelling?
D. Really! That’s very interesting.
18. At the party, Mr. Brown meets Lin Hong for the first time.
Brown: May I introduce myself? My name is Richard Brown.
A. I am Mr. Lin Hong. Glad to meet you.
B. How do you do? My name is Lin Hong.
C. How do you do, Richard?
D. How are you, Mr. Brown?
19. — It’s very warm today, isn’t it?
— ______(show disagreement)
A. No, it is not warm at all. B. It’s cold, I think.
C. Well, I wouldn’t call it really warm. D. No, actually it’s very cold.
20. At the dinner table
— Would you mind passing me the pepper?
A. Certainly. Here you are. B. Yes, here you are.
C. Yes, but I don’t know where it is. D. Not at all. Here you are.
21.“Francis wanted to go to the shopping center today.”
“If she had told me this morning, I ______ her there.”
A. will have driven B. would drive
C. would have driven D. will drive
22. ______ as a vegetable by most people, botanists classify the tomato as a berry.
A. Considering it B. Although it is considered
C. That it is considered D. It is considered
23. He wanted to know ______ there.
A. how long time I had been B. how long had I been
C. how long time had I been D. how long I had been
24. ______ he needed money for a new car, he decided not to borrow it from the bank.
A. Much as &nb